This soup and how to make it is ingrained in my heart and soul. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Okra! It’s simpler than you would think and amiable to variation. I’ve added a few more vegetables in mine, but it makes for a heartier soup. This comforting fall recipe is sure to leave your crowd satisfied, happy, and feeling cozy throughout the season.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable or grapeseed Oil
- 2 green bell peppers, medium dice
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 5 sticks celery, medium dice
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (for garnish)
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- Smoked chicken sausage or andouille (depending on preference)
- 1 Ib rotisserie chicken (dark and white meat chunks)
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp file gumbo powder (for finishing)
- Frozen okra slices (optional)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Build your roux, 1 cup flour and grapeseed or vegetable oil on medium heat. Usually the estimate time is 20 minutes. (You want to reach color of a tarnished penny)
- Add veggies into the roux and sauté for about 4-5 minutes till translucent.
- Add chicken stock, canned tomatoes (remaining the juices), cayenne, salt & pepper, and bay leaves.
- Slice sausages into 1 inch on the biased and add into pot. Cover and bring to a boil
- Cut whole rotisserie Chicken into chunks. Make sure to not shred since it can become stringy.
- Once your gumbo has come to a boil place chicken chunks inside pot and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes to mend the flavors.
- For finishing touches you can add gumbo file powder, white rice (follow package directions) and sautéed okra or green onions to garnish with.