Growing up one of my most treasurable experiences was living in Venice, Italy for two months with my mom. My request for every meal was “Linguine Vongole” and leaving it up to my mom who spoiled me rotten my wish was granted along with three gelato stops a day! You could clearly see why I never wanted to leave. However, that doesn’t mean I can’t whip up a nostalgic Italian dish in my kitchen and pretend I’m there! Venture out into a taste of Italy with this take on a Linguine Vongole!
- 1 1/2 pounds Barilla linguine pasta
- 1-2 pounds of clams
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs crushed hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbs butter
- cilantro, finely chopped for garnish
- salt, to taste
- Gather all your ingredients rinse and soak clams in an ice bath to remove dirt and sand.
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta for 6 minutes cooked to “al dente” perfection and drain.
- Bring water to a boil and steam clams till shells open (usually this process doesn’t take long so make sure you keep an watchful eye from overcooking your clams).
- For the sauce melt your butter, and add your wine, onions, garlic and season (you want to cook your onions till they look translucent and your alcohol cooks off without burning your garlic.
- With a wide pan set on medium-low heat combine your pasta, clams (which you can decide to remove clams out of shell or leave them intact), sauce, and red hot chili flakes.
- Garnish w cilantro and enjoy!
- Tip if you have excess clams remaining you have the option to mix with homemade or store bought pesto and hot pepper flakes and eat them as is like we did pictured below!